Pickled Garlic and Spicy Sliced Beef
In winter, it can be warming to the body to eat spicy beef and garlic. Here are two recipes that pair wonderfully together in a meal, along with a vegetable or salad of your choice. Be sure to make the pickled garlic 2 days in advance.
Prep time: 15 mins + 24 hours marinade time
Cooking time: 5 mins
Serves 2 people
- 1 lb. peeled garlic
- 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 4 tablespoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Cut garlic cloves into halves or thirds. Steam them in a double boiler until soft – 10 minutes, set aside.
- Mix Cayenne pepper, turmeric, salt, fenugreek and vinegar, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When crackling stops, add the mix of spices and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and mix.
- Pour into a glass container. Add more oil to reach the top and this will keep the pickle fresh longer. It takes 2 days to obtain the full flavor.
*Notes on nutrient content:
- Garlic contains vitamins B and C and dietary minerals manganese and phosphorus, calcium, iron and zinc.
- Pepper contains vitamins B and C and dietary minerals potassium, magnesium and iron.
- Turmeric contains curcumin, an antioxidant
- Fenugreek contains calcium, iron and phosphorus
- Mustard contains magnesium and sodium
Spicy Sliced Beef
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Serves 1 person
- 6 oz. thinly sliced beef
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 stalks green onion
- ½ thinly sliced large red onion
- 1½ teaspoon ginger, cut up
- 3 cloves finely chopped cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt, if needed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 teaspoons soy sauce
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add onion, garlic, ginger and celery and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add sliced meat and cook until it loses the pink color.
- Add soy sauce, cover and cook at medium heat until meat is done, about 15 minutes.