Tasty Cauliflower Crust Pizza
Giving up grains can be challenging but it is the best course of action if you have developed Type 2 diabetes or if you want to prevent it from occurring. This may present a huge lifestyle change for you. But it is not as difficult as you may think. There are many interesting ways to use vegetables in place of grains.
Here is an example of how easy it can be to create a substitute for one of the most beloved grain-based foods: the pizza. You don’t need to use any wheat flour to make this pizza crust – instead, it turns out that cauliflower can be turned into an incredibly tasty flour-like texture to become your crust. Then you simply add any toppings you want. Give it a try!
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 25-30 mins
Serves: 4 people
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the cauliflower with the garlic. Pulse until the mixture resembles a fine meal, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the shredded mozzarella, Parmesan and eggs, and mix to combine. Stir in the herbs, and season with salt and pepper.
- Press the cauliflower mixture into a ½-inch-thick rectangle on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the crust until it’s crisp and golden around the edges, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven.
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 3 crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 of each red, yellow, and green bell pepper, sliced (only use 1/3 of each pepper and cut up the rest for a snack later!)
- Spread the marinara on top of the crust.
- Arrange the mozzarella slices evenly over the sauce.
- Add veggies or topping of your choice!
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Let the pizza cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Garnish with basil just before serving.
Note on Nutritional and Health Benefits: